Twitter

Send me a tweet @YT40

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Yankee Doodle Dandy 1942

Starring: James Cagney

Biopics aren't my favourite type of movie. The biggest compliment I can pay is that I went straight to the encyclopedia at the end of the movie to find out more about George M Cohan. I obviously knew some of the songs and was amazed at the sheer volume of material that he'd been involved in. Cagney was terrific, convincing as the arrogant, brash youngster but also showing a subtle side to his acting when he potrayed his character's maturity, appreciating his family's priceless involvement in his success. The film is littered with musical numbers, none of which grated on my nerves. This was flag waving, patriotic stuff, but understandable as made during the war years. My one complaint is that Cagney never looked convincing as a young man, looking middle aged when he was supposed to be 17, easier to look older than younger a guess. A worthy Oscar winner.
7/10

No comments: